Continuing on with my Healthy Lifestyle eating plan, I thought I would share the recipe for my husband’s favourite salad: Broccoli Salad. I know what you’re thinking, broccoli, yuk! But trust me, it is a huge hit with everyone who tries it for the first time. The best part of this broccoli salad is that the broccoli is raw and so it maintains all the essential healthy vitamins without having them cooked out! So read on to find out more about this awesome broccoli salad recipe.
How To Make a Broccoli Salad
Broccoli Salad is great either as a meal on its own or as a side dish. You can also prepare it well ahead of time, and it keeps for a couple of days in the fridge if covered.
If you want to make the best broccoli salad ever, it’s super easy. Check out the ingredients you’ll need:
What you need – Ingredients
Optional: 1 teaspoon of sugar
Please Note: All fruit and vegetables should be fresh and raw.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry until just crispy. Remove from the pan, and put on a paper towel (kitchen roll) to absorb the excess fat. Allow to cool. (Bacon is optional, and it tastes as good without it so leave the bacon out for a meat-free version).
- Cut the head of broccoli into small pieces, removing the long stems.
- Chop all the fruit, onions, celery etc., into small pieces. You should always cut the grapes half (long ways) – you don’t want accidental choking.
- Put everything into one bowl, including the bacon, and mix well.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or jug and stir well.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables, and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Options and Alternatives:
- Sugar: this is not necessary as the fruit adds enough sweetness, in my opinion, but you can add it if you want to.
- Apples can be substituted for pears. Any type of apple will do.
- Grapes: either green or red, but they should be sliced in half, and it’s best if they are seedless.
- Onion: you can substitute the spring onions for ¼ red onion chopped very finely.
- If you are worried about the sugar from both raisins and grapes, remove the grapes and add an extra apple instead.
- You can also add sunflower kernels or chopped walnuts if you wanted to.
- No need to add the bacon if you want a meat-free option.
Broccoli Salad is such a great easy salad to make, full of contrasting colours, textures, and tastes that all work together.
You can make so many substitutions as well. If you don’t have something, don’t stress, it works quite well if you leave something out, except maybe the broccoli.
Download the free Broccoli Salad Recipe now.
If you like this recipe, please pin it, or you can visit my the recipe on my Pinterest Board.
Dried cranberries make a great substitue for the raisins too!
Oh yes, I will definitely have to try that too!
Yeah the red contrasts so nicely with the green, it’s pretty too. :)
We love broccoli and Junior (11) too! ;-) I have on my blog delicious potatoes and broccoli salad without mayo ;-) Maybe you’ll like to have a look for your next healthy meal plan! ;-) Meanwhile, I’ve pinned your recipe which it really sounds so delicious! ;-)
Thanks Emmi. I will definitely have a look for after March. Until then my husband has banned all potato from the house! Sacriledge! But he’s doing really well so I guess I can hold out until then! Will Pin yours in the mean time thought.
Ok ;-) Thank you so much for pinning ;-)
Please post the link, I can’t get onto your site by clicking your name. Not sure why?
This sounds great! I just started my own blog about healthy and affordable eating (all gluten free), so feel free to check it out! :) I’m looking forward to more of your posts!
Best of luck with your blog. You can check out a previous post re my husband’s progress this year so far: https://momoftwolittlegirls.wordpress.com/2017/01/26/healthy-lifestyle-update/
Thanks! I will check it out! :) x
Oo I’m obsessed with broccoli at the moment (pregnancy craving I think), so. Will certainly have to give this a go! :) #TwinklyTuesday
Please do. It’s so easy and you can swap in and out so many things to make it perfect for you.
I’m a massive fan of broccoli so will definitely have to give this a try! Roasted broccoli is my favourite at the moment! #TwinklyTuesday
This sounds so good! Need to get a few of the ingredients, but definitely going to try! :)
Definitely a fav in our house!